Skjoldplayers.com Forum Index Skjoldplayers.com
Skjold Players

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

String spacing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Martorano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: String spacing Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and have been checking out these killer basses, but there is a piece of info I haven't found exactly. It's possible I may have missed it, but what is the string spacing for the various models? Is it possible to specify this when ordering? Thanks for any info you can give me!

Joe
Juneau

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19mm on 4 strings
18mm on 5+ strings

Allthough all the bridges can be adjusted to 19mm, so you can request 19mm on the 5+ as well.

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"
Joe Martorano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I saw the "in progress" pics of your fanned-fret bass, and it looks sweet! I gotta ask though, what made you decide to get something other than a Dingwall? Did you just want the custom scale lengths? I love my AB6, except for the string spacing! Now I just need an active fiver to be my main axe....

Joe
Juneau

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be honest, I had no idea Id ever get a Skjold when I first saw them and met Pete. I live about 15 minutes from his shop, and met him at a GTG he hosted for local bass players a few years ago. Sheldon is thousands of miles away after all, plus, just being some guy off the street, Id never expect to be able to afford a custom Dingwall or Skjold. After a time, Pete and I got to be pretty good friends, and it turned out I had some abilities he was in need of. So we worked something out.

I already had the AB, and really wanted to stick to fanned frets. Pete wasnt sure about the idea at first, but decided after some time to go ahead and give it a shot to see how much more trouble it was and if it was worth it to offer as an option. I think at this point he has decided its just too much out of his norm to offer it in the future, so this may be the only fanned-fret Skjold ever. It doesnt fit in any of the jigs properly, and requires a lot of special attention. Thats not very condusive to building basses in batches of 10-25 like Pete does now.

Anyhow, after this amount of time being friends, seeing just about everything that's come out of his shop in the last 2 years, and all the progress he has made in the industry, I actually have a Lion's Pride in the works now as well. That one will be a parallel fret bass, mostly just to not try and put Pete through the ringer again lol. Plus, in a jazz-style bass, I think the parallel frets maintain the vintage vibe more.

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"
Joe Martorano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love Jazz basses, and I'd really love to see that Lion's Pride. I'm bassically in a toss up between Elrick, Sadowsky, and a Skjold right now, and I was pretty much set on a Sadowsky Metro RV5 'til I read some posts on Talk Bass about how good the Skjolds are. The string spacing is definitely an issue, but it doesn't seem that it'll be a problem, so now it's down to price and wait time! I wish I were a more decisive man, but this is likely to be my last opportunity to make a purchase like this for God only knows how long (gotta save for my wedding!), and I can't afford to be arbitrary about it! I had thought about an AB2-5, but I figured there are a few custom basses I could get in that same price range, so I'm looking that way!
Juneau

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tell ya Joe, if your interested in the Skjold, I suggest you get on board quickly. The new batch will be started soon. Pete will basically be doing 25 basses in this next batch, some pre-ordered, others just standard type combos that will be available for sale. If you miss out on this batch, he wont even be able to begin on a new set of instruments until after January likely. So you have a month or so window of opportunity right now if you want something truely custom. Thats not to say the unspoken for ones in the next batch with be anything short of amazing, and likely might have a wood combo youd have chosen anyhow though. But if you want to pick every little thing, and be sure you get exactly what you want, Id get into it shortly Smile

If nothing else, give Pete a call and discuss some ideas of what your after with him and see what he has to say with reguards to his next batch and time frames ect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skjoldplayers.com Forum Index -> Ask Pete All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: