Skjoldplayers.com Forum Index Skjoldplayers.com
Skjold Players

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What amp system do you use with your Skjold?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Morgan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: What amp system do you use with your Skjold? Reply with quote

Just wondering what amplification systems you folks use/recommend to bring out the best in your Skjolds, especially your basses with the new Skjold onboard pre-amp and Skjold pick-ups.

I'm currently using EA gear (Iamp800 + two CXL112Ls) and really like it but I may be looking around for something with a little fuller sound (Acoustic Image, Schroeder, Bergantino, Thunderfunk, etc.) to compliment the tone of my soon to be Skjolds.

Thanks!
Chinsk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run it through an ampeg svtpro preamp to a qsc poweramp to an ampeg svt-810E. but i started running more through house systems and relying less on a massive stage volume, so i started using smaller combos(much less to carry around). Currently my signal is SKJOLD>ABbox>ampeg BA115 left and Right. Since the majority of the music i play isnt head banging metal and more funk/jazz they give more than enough volume plus there isnt a bunch of EQ crapola on it so you can get more of a bass tone rather than all that EQ tone(which with the skjold p/u and preamp is amazing). Only other thing i could recommend is Trace Elliot, But good luck finding a good deal on them. most people i know that got 'em are holding on to them pretty tight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Matt Morgan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all about staying light and portable.
The systems I'm considering are:

1. AI Focus 1 Series III + Schroeder Light weight 21012 or 410

2. Bergantino IP212 + Bergantino Line Driver

3. A soon to be released 2x12 cabinet from another manufacturer.

4. Keeping my EA system and just working with it to get a tone that I really like.

I'd really like to get down to one really good quality, LOUD single cabinet.
As easy as the EA stuff is to get around, hauling two cabs can get to be a pain. There are several really good alternatives popping up these days.
Decisions, decisions....
Tom Wick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

I've only had my Skjold Custom 5 for a little over a week now and won't get to gig it until the 31st, but I have been playing it at home through my iAMP800 and (original) CXL112. It sounds great - very punchy. I will be using my iAMP800 with 2 EA VL208's on the 31st, and can't wait to hear it in a live situation. That rig kills with my Lakland 55-94D and '72 Jazz, so I'm sure the Skjold is gonna kick butt as well. I'll post a followup after that gig. BTW - I'm also on the prowl for an EA NL210 to pair with the CXL 112. I can't imagine anything sounding better than the iAMP/VL208 rig, but, more is definately better! Twisted Evil
Matt Morgan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested to hear how it worked out with your EA rig.
I'm still looking for a one cab solution.
The two major contenders at this point are the new Bergantino IP212 (to be released shortly) or the Schroeder 21012 Light (due out in Feb.).
I also still like my current rig so I'll give the Skjolds a whirl with my EA rig before I make any decisions.
Tom Bowlus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt:

I have to say that of all the gear that I have tried (and owned!), nothing can touch the IP series from Bergantino - at least as far as solid state amplification goes. I am a big EA fan (and yes, an iAMP 800 into two VL-208's is a very nice thing!), but you really need to hear these IP series cabs. The IP112 is the only one I don't own, actually, but through the R&D I did with Jim, I was able to hear his amp driving one (and also two) HT112, and it was even better than my Walter Woods Ultra with two HT112's (which had been one of my favorite combos). The IP212 and IP310 are also fantabulistic!

Just do me a favor and drive down to Bass Emporium to see John Files and try an IP series cab before you make your final decision! Among other things, it will let you realize just how special Pete's basses are! Very Happy

Later, Tom.

Matt Morgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Tom. I read all the posts on TB about these cabs. My only concern is that they still top out at 85lbs.
I think that there are some equally attractive ultralight cabs out there and some great lightweight heads. If Jim would drop in some Neos (that he approves of, of course) in these it would be a no brainer. Until then, I'll look for a lighter weight alternative.
If you have any "insider information" about Jim utilizing neos, we'd all love to hear it!
Thanks,
Matt
emjazz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Morgan wrote:
Thanks for the input Tom. I read all the posts on TB about these cabs. My only concern is that they still top out at 85lbs.
I think that there are some equally attractive ultralight cabs out there and some great lightweight heads. If Jim would drop in some Neos (that he approves of, of course) in these it would be a no brainer. Until then, I'll look for a lighter weight alternative.
If you have any "insider information" about Jim utilizing neos, we'd all love to hear it!
Thanks,
Matt

Matt, you should really consider looking into the IP112. I promise you that you'll be very surprised the amount of sound that comes out of that one speaker. Paired with an EX112 you'll never feel the need for more volume, guarenteed. The weight will be around 50 lbs.
Tom Bowlus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Morgan wrote:
Thanks,
Matt

I know that Jim is pretty much constantly looking for improved neo designs, and he does seem to think that the implementation and/or technology of neo drivers is moving in a positive direction, and that it will eventually reach a point where the drawbacks are minimal. With that in mind, I am hopeful that at some point, Jim will use neos (and that this will mean that neo technology has reached a new plateau).

Also, the IP112, at 46 lbs, is not all that heavy. Heck, the 84-85 lb IP212/IP310 are actually quite managable, really.

Tom.

Matt Morgan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy and Tom,
I appreciate your comments and I've always taken your opinions very seriously both here and on TB.
With that said, other than the select few that helped r&d the new IP series, nobody has played these cabs yet and nobody is carrying them yet.
I know you both think that this system is a quantum leap forward in bass amplification. However, the general bass playing populace will eventually ask the question: Is this new product so significantly better and can I actually hear in my performance context a significant enough difference that I'm willing to spend this kind of money and haul this kind of weight.
By today's standards, these cabs are not light.
With the Epifani UL line, Schroeder Light line, LDS cabinets, and a variety of other manufacturers, we now have a choice of great quality and great sounding really light cabinets. A new Schroeder 21012 or 410 is going to weigh in between 52 and 54 lbs. An Epifani UL410 is 57lbs. Throw an AI Focus or MarkBass head on top of any of those cabs and you have a rig weighing in between 56 and 65 lbs. Granted those systems don't sport the cool new DSP technology, the new power amp, etc. that Jim has put a lot of time and effort into.
In order for me to personally justify hauling 85+ lbs. of cabs (plus pre-amp or line driver, specialized cables, etc.), they would have to be something like I've never heard before and probably have to make me pancakes every morning for breakfast too!
I don't forsee Bergantino going to Neo speakers anytime soon. Maybe in a year or two, who knows. When he does, that should bring the system in line with what I feel is workable for me. A 55lb. Neo IP212 or a 37lb. IP112 plus a 30lb HT112 would be something that I'd seriously consider.
Tom Bowlus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the question becomes tone versus weight. I choose tone. But, as you are well aware, before you drop such coin on a cab or cabs, you want to give it a listen, first. If you come away as impressed and Andy and I, then I wouldn't think that a few extra pounds would matter all that much. But for sure, these cabs aren't going to be for everyone. But, knowing the tonal range and open voice of Pete's basses, IMHO/IME, these IP cabs really let them shine.

Tom.

Matt Morgan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a firm believer that you don't have to give up any tone quality to get really good lightweight gear these days. Five years ago, probably...but today, I don't think so.

There have been significant advances in Neo speaker designs. Companies like Accugroove, EA, Markbass, Schroeder, Epifani, LDS, etc. are all using several advanced speaker designs (3rd and 4th generation speakers in some cases). Heck Tom, you own most of this stuff!
As far as power amps go, this is blatantly self evident in the fact that Jim is using one of them in his new cabs!

Let there be no doubt that there will be more than one post saying that these new IP cabs sound like garbage and that people can't believe they paid for these lead lined, back breaking, pieces of sh...

Let there also be no doubt that some will say they are the Holy Grail of tone and that all other lesser cabs should be destroyed in ritual sacrifice and purified in the altar fires at the Glorious Temple of Bergantino.

Bass amplification systems are so good anymore that discussing them almost gets into the realm of discussing instrument cables.
It's almost like talking about wine. "Yes this Cabernet will surprise you with its strong nose, smooth finish and subtle overtones of blackberry, chocolate, figs and black pepper".

If YOU think it tastes good, drink it.

If YOU think it sounds good, buy it and play it.

If it weighs less, EVEN BETTER.

It all comes down to user preference. If these IP cabs blow my socks off then I'll be the first one to post on how great they are and to make my offering at the Temple! But if there's a far lighter weight alternative that sounds just as good in a two guitar, two voice, hard hittin' drummer, rock band (and all the tone issues that go with that) then.....
I think my previous post kind of eluded to all this.

There is plenty of great sounding, lightweight gear out there. It's up to each one of us to find what tone works for us, what we're willing to spend and what we're willing to schlep! These days those options keep getting better and better.
Tom Bowlus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Morgan wrote:
Heck Tom, you own most of this stuff!

True! And my personal opinion is that as far as a solid state amplification system goes, the IP cabs are the best I have heard.

Matt Morgan wrote:
As far as power amps go, this is blatantly self evident in the fact that Jim is using one of them in his new cabs!

Also true! The technology used in the Bergantino amps is, from what I can tell, a marked improvement over the other SMPS amps which I have used. True to his word, when Jim found an implementation of SMPS technology that met with his approval, he did embrace it.

I apologize if I am coming across as pushing these cabs too hard. It's just that after hearing so much other great, but roughly equivalent, gear, when I hear something that in my mind dramatically surpasses what I have heard before (such as my initial experience with Pete's basses), I do tend to get more than a little excited! Very Happy

Tom.

Last edited by Tom Bowlus on Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matt Morgan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
As always, I really do value your opinion and I'm sure the IPs are great.
I don't think you're really pushing them, but I am pretty sure you're personally convinced that they're working for you! That's a good thing.
I have yet to find an amp system that I'm really happy with.
I've played big rigs, small rigs, rack systems, and on and on...
I'm looking for a system that will really let the Skjold basses shine and something that I don't always have to think about.
I can't wait to try the IPs when they make their debut around Dallas!
Thanks for all your input and advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skjoldplayers.com Forum Index -> The lounge All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: