Skjoldplayers.com Forum Index Skjoldplayers.com
Skjold Players

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skjold Pro Sound Cabinets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete Skjold
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Skjold Pro Sound Cabinets Reply with quote

Yes , many of you have heard that I am currently working on speaker enclosures .

The protos will be arriving soon .

All the cabinets will feature a three-way crossover .

Standard features include , high quality tweeter , 6" mid driver and front ports .

I will offer a 3-way 1X15
3-way 2X10
3-way 2X12
3-way 3X10

There will be a Neo series option aswell .

The specs are being worked out . But let me know what you would be most interested in .

Pete
Matt Morgan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,
Great to hear that the cabs may be available soon!
I'd really like to know the specs on the 2x12 and 3x10, especially the Neo version.
Looking forward to hearing them!
Chinsk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been looking for a 2x12 cab. Im excited to hear what you have been workin on. Im soon going to end up with all my gear saying Skjold on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Justin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: I'd like to try a 15 Reply with quote

I played a 15 for years and then I got into 12s and 10s and I've found mysellf thinking I'd like to try a really nice 15 again, particularly with the added benefit of a mid driver.

-j.
Tom Bowlus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for this ride, too! Cool
Matt Morgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring 'em on Pete!
Pete Skjold
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be receiving the 2x10 and 1x15 this week ! Very excited !!

Pete
G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

210 and 115 is the perfect combo... Can't wait to hear!
Pete Skjold
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1x15 is designed to work by itself too . The one I am getting is a 4ohm but I will be offering both 8 and 4ohm models .

They are all three way cabs with a very good tweater and 6' mid driver .
Matt Morgan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the "big guns"! Either the 3x10 or the 2x12 will most likely be my new weapon of choice.
Pete Skjold
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to edit the original statement , I have decided to eliminate the 3X10 due to impedence issues that are expensive to justify .

The 212 will be arriving soon .

So far the 115 is really blowing me away . It has a tone of warth but total clarity thanks to the 3-way crossover and mid driver .

I plan on having them at the Dallas guitar show too.

Pete
Matt Morgan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the chance to stop by the shop today and check out the new cabs.
Very Nice! Seriously Nice!
I sampled the 1x15 and the 2x10 compared to my EA CXL112.
Pete's cabs are extremely well built. Fantastic grills, handles, indestructible black "sprayed on" type cabinet coating, locking corners, very cool dark red color on the surface where the speakers are mounted,etc. Beautiful cabs!
Both cabs were the same size and were larger than (and a good bit heavier than) my CXL which was to be expected. They balance very well and are very easy to carry with the well positioned handles. One speakon connector as well as one 1/4 input. A very nice tweeter attenuator on the back panel as well.

As far as the tone goes; both cabs are unique in that they are a 3 way designs including a 6" driver and a tweeter. I used an AI Focus Series II (600w) to compare all the cabs. The first cab that I tried was the 1x15. It has a very typical full low end that you would expect from a bottom vented 1x15. However, the interesting thing about the cab is that the 6" driver was instantly recognizable and present in the voice of the cab. It was very smooth and not overly forward but as I played futher up in the upper midrange, the 6" kept the tone clear and articulate. It was really cool! The tweeter was very smooth and very clean too. I played a couple of Pete's fretless and fretted basses through it. Playing some very aggressive fingerstyle and slap through the 1x15 showed the strength of the 6" driver. Very well rounded and consistant tone including some really kickin' upper mid and top end that you wouldn't expect out of a 1x15! The 1x15 is going to be around 600w or so.
The 2x10 in comparison is very punchy and direct. Very midrange oriented. It has a side by side configuration and a single from port above one of the 10s in the cabinet face instead of a bottom slot port. It has a very clear voice but it didn't have the very relaxed and effortless low end of the 15. You could eq it in, but at higher volume levels with a low B string in action, the 10s strained a little bit. I think it would be very well suited for 4 string players, especially "slap" style players. It would also mate very well with the 1x15 for a monster rig. Pete said that the cab should be rated around 1000w! He's putting in some very high power speakers in this baby!
Both cabs were 4 ohm cabs and took as much of the power as the Focus would put out. We had to be a little careful not to offend nearby office workers in another building!

The 8 ohm EA CXL was voiced most similarly to the 1x15. It didn't have quite the upper mid clarity of the Skjold cab most likely due to the lack of that 6" driver, however the CXL was surprisingly louder at the initial volume settings. The CXL in notoriously efficient, however as the power was applied to the different cabs, the 1x15 answered up pretty well.
Pete is going to be getting in a 2x12 cab in the next couple weeks that promises to be an absolute monster. I suspect it will have all the lowend of the 1x15, a little more punch and a lot more volume capacity.
I should mention that both the Skjold cabs that I tried out were traditional ceramic magnet varieties. Neos are in the works and will surely cut down on the weight a good bit. With Neos, I think both of these cabs would have been lighter than my CXL.
Pete and I also discussed the posibility of a 1x12 cab that may come along in the future.
Talking prices with Pete, these cabs are going to be more than competative in today's market! They're going to be significantly more affordable than some of the bigger name "boutique" or near boutique cabs.
My guess is that I'm going to really fall for the Neo 2x12 in my quest for a "one cab" setup. I love the 12s!
Sorry about the conspicuous lack of pics but I'm sure that Juneau will be along shortly with some!
Happy Easter everyone!
Biker4Him

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these things ready yet...?? Question Razz
Tom Bowlus

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or heck, do we at least have pictures?
Chinsk

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some pictures of the cabs(the 2x10 and 1x15)on his myspace that i took. There are other pictures and stuff in his myspace blog here: www.myspace.com/skjoldbasses

Here are the shots:

By the way, they sound flippin' amazing!! Enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skjoldplayers.com Forum Index -> Accessories All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: