Skjoldplayers.com Forum Index Skjoldplayers.com
Skjold Players

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single Coils? And email.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Single Coils? And email. Reply with quote

For some reason, my emails to be get bounced back immediately. Weird.

Anyways, I was wondering what your thoughts are on single coil pickups. Specifically, 6 string single coil pickups. DO you make them? Have you made them? What are your preferences? WOuld you ever put them in a bass?
Juneau

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Pete's pickups are Single Coil. The C4 is just two Split Coils in the same housing.

As for email, are you trying to mail through the website, or directly?

basses@skjolddesign.com is Pete's email address if you want to just try and send directly.

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"
Vic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juneau wrote:
All Pete's pickups are Single Coil.
I'm sure this was just a typo, as I know Juneau knows these basses, but just to make sure and avoid confusion, all Pete's pickups are SPLIT coil (dual coil humbucking), but designed to carry the popular characteristics people love about single coils, but without the associated hum...

Here's from the "models" page regarding the SC-1...

Quote:
These pickups blend vintage tone with hum canceling hi-fidelity. It is a split coil pickup that retains a single coil presence with added top end and expanded bass frequencies. You’ll find that these pickups will out perform many popular brands you have heard. They offer flexibility without colorization. This gives me the ability to use many wood combinations which I can tailor to your personal tone. My customers go out of their way to tell me how detailed and clear these pickups are.
G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are both right, right? I was under the impression that split coils were in fact single coils, jsut with half the pickup reversed to cancel the hum.

What I was wondering was more about a 6 string jazz style pickup. Hum and all. Sometimes I want to color my tone with a pickup.
Juneau

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My appologies, yes I meant split coil. They are in fact single coil too I believe hehe, but I guess dont quote me on that as I obviously dont know what Im talking about lol. I dont know if Pete has plans to offer any other kinds of pickups, but Im sure he'll chime in here eventually.

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"
Vic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, no...

A single coil is a single coil and a split coil is a dual coil. No free lunches. Smile

I think the confusion is, in a split coil like this, it sounds more like a single coil pickup because each string only passes over one coil instead of two as in the typical dual coil humbucker. However, it's still a dual coil humbucking pickup.
Juneau

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told ya I didnt know what I was talking about Smile

Tom Bowlus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic wrote:
Actually, no...

A single coil is a single coil and a split coil is a dual coil. No free lunches. Smile

I think the confusion is, in a split coil like this, it sounds more like a single coil pickup because each string only passes over one coil instead of two as in the typical dual coil humbucker. However, it's still a dual coil humbucking pickup.

That is right. It's like you are playing with a 'mini P-bass' pickup in each location. Wink

Tom.

G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it, I think. So there are two separate coils, thus cancelling the hum. Whereas in a j style pickup there is only one continuous coil.
Juneau

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I get it, I think. So there are two separate coils, thus cancelling the hum. Whereas in a j style pickup there is only one continuous coil.

Ya, I think so hehe.

Vic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Yup, you nailed it.

A little bit more info...

Like Tom says, however, I THINK these coils are a lot like a "P" pickup in that the coils are offset from each other as well. You just can't tell because of the cover.

Not all split coils are like that. Some are literally end-to-end and/or end-to-end, but maybe turned (angled) just slightly. I think some barts are like that.

FYI.
G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what about a set of true single coils in my next Skjold?
Juneau

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure its possible, allthough I cant speak for likeliness. I'll tell Pete to stop in a post something Smile

Tom Bowlus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

IME/IMHO, Pete's pickups can certainly cop a very good 'single coil' sound, but they do not suffer the same drawbacks (hum, etc.). Still, my guess is that Pete would work with you if you really wanted to go in that direction.

Tom.

Vic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
If you're asking that without having played the SC-1's yet, I'd seriously wait until you hear these pickups. I really can't imagine someone lacking for tone on these. IMHO, what Pete says about these pickups is absolultely true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skjoldplayers.com Forum Index -> Ask Pete All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: